Harting Horticultural Society welcomes members from South, East and West Harting, Nyewood, Elsted and the surrounding area.
The Harting Horticultural Society is a thriving local gardening club. Our membership ranges from total beginners to experts, but we have one thing in common – we all love gardening.
Whether you’re a knowledgeable gardener or a novice join today – it’s only £8 for an individual or £12 for a couple/family.
In a normal year we have:
- A series of talks (mixture of online and face to face)
- Three produce and flower shows – which include fun classes for children and adults. We are affiliated to The Royal Horticultural Society, so rules apply.
- An informal member’s plant swap
- Christmas wreath making day
- An active Members WhatsApp group – where you can ask advice, share your photos etc
- Summer evening visit to local gardens within the village
- Outings to gardens, nurseries and places of interest
- 5% discount at Ayling Garden Centre, Trotton and Rotherhill Nurseries & Garden Centre, Stedham
- A membership card and Event Schedule for the year
Harting Horticultural Society has been around for over 70 years and with more than 150 members they continue to welcome local residents from South, East and West Harting as well as Elsted and Nyewood. The society holds a number of shows and events for members and friends to attend and participate in, including the spring and summer shows.
During the early 1950’s the society members assisted in the supplement of wartime rations growing their own fruit and vegetables. Members began to branch out into growing flowers that allowed them to compete at summer shows, sharing inspiration and ideas with others.
The 1970’s saw the spring and summer shows becoming open to non-members as well as members. Originally the spring show had several classes for narcissi, whilst the summer show had classes for flowers and vegetables. The Society has since expanded creating new ancillary classes for people to enter with cookery, craft and photography proving highly popular. These new classes are open to everyone, providing children and families with the opportunity to enter.
For more information about our community please go to the Parish Council website